DNP – Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
A Family Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is an RN with an advanced degree specializing in Psychiatric and Mental Health. The job involves assessing, examining, diagnosing, and treating patients with mental health issues or disorders. Their work is varied and can overlap with therapists, psychologists, educators, and doctors.
Overview of a DNP – Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program
- Students prepare to specialize as primary mental health care providers for individuals and families.
- Students learn to apply neurobiological and psychosocial theories and use both pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies in the delivery of mental health care.
- Coursework focuses on mental health care through the full lifespan, with a sub-specialty in child/adolescent psychiatry or adult/gerontological psychiatry.
- Students prepare for the Board of Nurse certification exam and to take either the Family Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Exam or the Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam.
- Students participate in focused clinical environments that facilitate skill building in assessment and treatment of mental health problems.
Steps to Become a DNP Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Earn an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing.
- Receive a Registered Nurse Certification.
- Enroll and complete a DNP in family psychiatric & mental health.
- Obtain DNP certification and proper licensure, which varies by state.
Salary and Career Information
- Estimated Salary: $73,296 – $114,455 (determined by place of employment and area of specialty), according to Payscale.com.
- Job Setting: Home health, family practice settings, criminal justice, behavioral health clinics, additions treatment, pain clinics, private psychiatric practices, hospitals, emergency departments, school based clinics, and long term care.
- Job Prospects: Excellent, according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Online Doctor of Nursing Practice – Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Degrees
There are no DNP in Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Care programs available, but here are some DNP programs that may interest you:
- Doctor of Nursing Practice – Executive Leadership: American Sentinel University
- PhD – Nursing Education: Capella University
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: UMassOnline
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing: University of Phoenix
- Doctor of Nursing Practice – General: Walden University
Earn an Online Nurse Practitioner Degree
Online nurse practitioner programs have grown in popularity in recent years as more accredited schools have begun offering online alternatives to these degrees. Combining flexibility with the lack of campus visitation required these programs are ideal for working professionals. By clicking on links below, you can request information from each school about its tuition, classes, and programs.
||Kaplan University — Kaplan University's online presence is almost unmatched, offering over 170 online degrees and programs, including MSN and two Nurse Practitioner programs in Family Nurse Practice and Adult Gerontology Pratice. However, there are also 70 campuses across the country for those interested in a more traditional education. Kaplan is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.|
||Georgetown University — Stationed out of Washington DC, Georgetown University is a cultural and social hub and is one of the oldest schools in the nation. The school has two online nursing programs available, an MSN in Family Nursing and an MSN in Midwifery and Women's Health. Georgetown is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.|
||American Sentinel University — American Sentinel University is an online college focused on technology, business, and healthcare. The school offers several nursing programs like the RN to MSN bridge programs or the MSN in Nursing Informatics. All of these programs require no campus visitation and can be completed online entirely. ASU has an accreditation by the Distance Education and Training Council.|
||Capella University — Based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota, Capella University is an online school with over 38,000 current students across the nation. Its online programs like MSN in Nurse Educator have one-to-one tutoring, accelerated study, and low student to teacher ratios. Capella holds several accreditations, including The Higher Learning Commission and Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.|
||University of Phoenix — While it may not be surprising that the University of Phoenix is based in Phoenix, AZ, the school does have over 200 additional locations around the country. Phoenix has more than 200 online programs available, with nursing degrees in Health Education, Health Informatics, and a general track. Phoenix is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.|
|Click here to see more nurse practitioner degrees...|
Looking for a nurse practitioner degree?
Use the degree finder below, and we'll help you find a nursing practitioner program.